Want more money? Gotta work harder!
Need more cash? Gotta get more clients!
Rent is due? Gimme one more customer!
If your business is based on a Money-Time Exchange Equation, you will only ever make as much as your time allows.
If this is how you’ve been running your business then you probably relate to the picture at the top of this post. And just like running on a hamster wheel – getting nowhere fast – a business based on chasing the next client, customer or mythic ‘cash cow’ is futile and exhausting.
In last week’s post on doing well while doing good work in the world, I mentioned the value of creating more comprehensive offerings for your clients. In this post, you’ll get a good idea of exactly how to do it!
Bad Answers to a Critical Question
Sales statistics demonstrate time and again that it’s easier to sell additional products and services to customers who have already purchased with you. So why do so many people spend so much of their time chasing new clients and neglecting the old ones?
For healing arts practitioners, the unfortunate answer is often one of two things:
• “I don’t want to be pushy.”
• “They already got [a massage, 3 Ortho-Bionomy sessions, a Reiki healing, etc.] Why would they want another right away?”
The reason this is unfortunate is because if you are thinking this way, you are missing huge opportunities for your business, and to aid your clients in a deeper, more lasting transformation.
As long as you operate from a model based on a money-time exchange, you are seeing your service as a kind of one-off thing. And even if you offer punch cards or some other kind of more-than-one package, if the ‘package’ is based on the money-time exchange model, then you will only ever make as much as your time allows.
This is so important that I am going to repeat it:
If your business is based on a Money-Time Exchange Equation, you’ll only make as much as time allows.
How many hours can you devote to serving clients in a day? A week? A year? Even if you did have the wherewithal to work 40 hours a week solely on service (never mind the other aspects of your business, like appointments, accounting, cleaning, purchasing supplies or um, a lunch break), how many clients would you have to get pouring through your doors every single work day just to get ahead?
How to Get Off the Wheel
The key to removing the Hamster Wheel standing in the middle of your business is to create Holistic, Transformational Offers for your clients.
“Holistic whats?” you ask. Stay with me …
No matter what your expertise or modality(s), I know you’ve got more to give your clients in terms of value, information, education and plain old care, than a 1-off treatment. You just don’t have a good plan for giving it … That ‘good plan’ is a Transformational Offer.
Here’s what a Holistic Transformational Offer is, and what it does for you & your clients:
- A Holistic Transformational offer includes a series of services along with value-added supplementals to support your client’s wellbeing when they’re in your office, when they leave and when they return. It supports their Transformation into a better, healthier self.
- A Holistic Transformational offer engages your client in a more impactful and lasting way.
- A Holistic Transformational offer expresses the value you place on your service and your expertise.
- A Holistic Transformational offer invites clients to invest in their own well-being in a deeper way. It invites them to actually put some ‘skin in the game’. And when they do that, they actually make the efforts necessary for lasting, positive change.
- A Holistic Transformational offer lets you get off the hamster wheel, get out of the Money-Time Exchange Equation, and into a position to serve more people in a deeper way – and make more money doing it.
When you remove what you do from the Money-Time Exchange equation and place it squarely in the camp of a Holistic Transformational Package, everybody wins.
Got question about how you can create more holistic offerings in your business? Just leave your comments below and I’ll get back to you!